Friday, September 16, 2011

L'Oreal Project Runway LE Polish Comparisons & Dupes



I am a HUGE fan of Project Runway, so when I heard that L'Oreal had released a 'Project Runway' collection AND it included nail polish, I *needed* to find them.

Quite honestly, other than the fact that the eye shadow quads and blushes have the Project Runway logo on them, I'm not sure how they're connected to the show.  I know that L'Oreal does the makeup on the show, but what inspired this collection?  Maybe a future episode will tell us, but thankfully we won't have to wait that long to enjoy the Take Flight Collection because it's available now! (I found it at Walgreens)

There are 8 nail polishes in all, 2 for each of the mini collections which make up the entire Take Flight collection. I snagged 3:





First up is Amazon's Flight, a bright gold foil.  I don't have anything else in my collection like this...mainly because I don't have many gold polishes and the ones I do have are more champagne gold.  This one is BRIGHT and super sparkly!  It reminds of an award, like an Oscar or an Emmy.




I'm not familiar with foil formulas (say that 5 times fast) but this one was really thin.  At first I thought it might be a layering polish because that first coat was SO light and thin but it built up quicker than I thought it would.  Seriously, it's so thin that I thought I was going to need 5 coats, so I was pleasantly surprised it took only 3.




Next is Cockatoo's Mystery a medium grey creme.




I don't have much to say about this one - it's a grey creme.  The formula was nice, it went on very smooth and dried shiny.



I have quite the arsenal of light to medium grey cremes and it didn't take long to find, what I think is an exact dupe in Essie's Chinchilly.




Below Cockatoo's Mystery is on the left (and has a rogue red or pink piece of lint on it) and Chinchilly is on the right.  This is two coats of each.  To my eyes they are exact and if you have one, there isn't a need for the other.




Finally, I have Owl's Night a smokey, blackened base filled with golden flecks.  The label on this played with my eyes, because at first I thought the base color was a dark greyish purple, but it was the film that was casting that color and as soon as I got it on my nails, I could tell it was a smokey blackened grey.




The formula on Owl's Night was great & took only 2 coats.





Unfortunately, I also found another very similar polish in my collection, Sally Hansen's Sequin Scandal.




The gold flecks in Owl's Night are more prominent than the one's in Sequin Scandal, but if you have the Sally Hansen, I don't think you need Owl's Night too.  BUT if you missed out on the LE Sequin Scandal, here's your chance to get it's very similar cousin!





For a show, such as Project Runway, to promote creativity and originality, I have to say, I'm more than a bit disappointed in how similar 2 out of the 3 polishes I bought are to other popular polishes.  And because of that, to Cockatoo's Mystery & Owl's Night, I have to say 'Im sorry but you are out. Auf Wiedersehen".


13 comments:

  1. I loveeeeeeee these nail polishes! I want Owl's Night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost picked up Owl' Night today. But remembered you saying you got some so I thought I'd wait. It it had just a bit of a darker base it would make it enough of a difference...but, I think I have some off-brand that is super close to this one. It was nice to live vicariously through your post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i saw the post, and tweeted about it within 5 seconds. just bloody fantastic WOW awesome. this gold colour is just the perfect colour and i want it. typical, we wont get it here in england. owl's night as well, wow. all 3 are gorgeous but these 2 shades really really stand out for me. w o w xx

    liloo/@tsunimee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you especially for the comparisons! I passed on the SH, so I'll definitely be getting Owl's Night, and I want Amazon's Flash too - I don't have a gold like it! I do have Chinchilly. Really pretty swatches! A shame that two of these are dupeable, I have to agree.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great comps!!
    I have to say after lemming the SH PR This collex leaves me feeling a bit let down.
    Thanks again!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post with the dupes you selected matching so closely!

    I just found and joined your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just found your blog- so awesome! Love your header! Am a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  8. All the colors are great, but I'm loving the gold. Not super bright yellow, but also not the champagne yellow that is so popular!

    ReplyDelete
  9. hello the Owls Night one looks similar to L'Oreals black gold no.735 from the resist and shine black collection. I don't think these project ones are ever released in the UK which is a pain.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome, Ive been wanting Sequin Scandal, but not anymore. I have Owls Night! Woo hoo!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting! Your comments mean the world to me. I LOVE finding new blogs, so if youd like me to check out yours, please send me a message at OnceBittenBlog@gmail.com, but please dont spam my comments. Any and all spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...