Thursday, May 26, 2011

Snakeskin Nails & Tutorial




Not long ago on the Today Show, they featured a stunning new type of manicure/pedicure using actual snakeskin!  I'm sure most people will be turned off by it, but I thought it was HAWT....until I heard that it could cost upwards of $300 AND take nearly 2 HOURS to complete.  Eeek!




Then I remembered that one of the patterns in the new Bundle Monster plates was snakeskin!  Originally, I just tried stamping the pattern over a solid base coat but I thought it looked too artificial.  Natural snakeskin has slight variations in color and this looked too much like a 'stamp'.  

I decided to play around with my polishes and the results were SO much better than I could have hoped for, SUPER easy to achieve and, IMHO, look better than the $300, 2 hour manicure - at a fraction of the cost and time!  

I used 4 polishes: OPI Skull & Glossbones, Essie Chinchilly, China Glaze Below Deck and VIII




I started with a single coat of Essie Chinchilly ~ I tried each of these colors as a base coat and found that I preferred the medium shade of Chinchilly best.  I didn't worry about VNL or perfect application because this base will be mostly covered up. 




Next, I randomly blobbed (yup, completely technical term) Skull & Glossbones, Below Deck and sometimes a little more Chinchilly, on the nail just using the brushes straight from their own bottles, and swirled them as I went. 



Finally, I used China Glaze VIII and Bundle Monster plate BM-215.  I first tried a black polish, but it looked too harsh.  The dark, dusty purple in VIII worked perfectly with the other colors.  I then topped it with two coats of Out The Door top coat. 




Gah!  I LOVE this SO much!  







I can't wait to try this with other color combinations!  

.

32 comments:

  1. gorrrrrrrrgeous. seriously.
    i think the nails in the video were awesome too! haha. i don't know if i would touch the skin though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been waiting for this post ;)
    this is absolutely GENIOUS! I can't get enough! Honestly, I think the way you combined the colours and the shade of the stamping colour is absolutely clever and BRILLIANT! I bow down to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looove this!! Great job girl! I have a pet snake and when I saw this stamp I freaked! He's not very friendly but I've had him since I was like 16 or 17 lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is amazing! Love this look! Much better than the $300 alternateive if you ask me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh this is really nice, thanks for sharing the step by step pics

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, this is absolutely amazing! I love it! I think I might have to try this soon. :) x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this look. I literally need the new BM plates because of yours & Cris's manicures. LOVE it...It's so pretty! <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great tutorial and great manicure! I've ordered the new BM set so this is definitely a look I'll be trying in the near future

    ReplyDelete
  9. love this! it actually looks way better than the real snakeskin mani. plus i would hate feeling that texture all the time, eww eww eww!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look sooo awesome!! I will definetely try these someday(:

    I actually think the snakeskin thing looks cool too. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks guys! You're comments mean so much to me <3

    Let me know if any of you end up trying this too - I'd love to see what other color combos you use!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Completely in love with your mani!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree with you! Yours look way much better!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! Love that! Must try soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is brilliant! I love how all the colors you used create such a great depth.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this idea. It looks great on you! For me, however, I'm so phobia of snakes this kinda freaks me out. I'll live vicariously through you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's seriously awesome, it looks real. =O

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love, love, love this!!!
    What a great tutorial and manicure!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is the sexiest mani I've seen in a while! <3

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wooooow! Beautiful! And might I say, a lot more animal friendly. That's how you aquire stars in my book! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is amazing and very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  22. omg nailgasm! i just fell in love with your blog that much more! aahhhh! i want snakeskin nails.. i don't have any plates! the color combo is amaze... try some metallic in there!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I just got my plates. I totally have to try it this way. So cool. Thank you so much for showing this!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Just watched the video and the print looks WAAAY better than the real snake mani

    ReplyDelete
  25. By far better than the video version! Yours is gorgeous. There is no need to use a poor snake's skin for it.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love this :) just awesome...
    will give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm totally trying this mani out....I have all the polishes you used and I'm going to dust them off and give it a go!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting! Your comments mean the world to me. I LOVE finding new blogs, so if youd like me to check out yours, please send me a message at OnceBittenBlog@gmail.com, but please dont spam my comments. Any and all spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...